Carole set a fun challenge for this week’s 10 on Tuesday: 10 Interesting Things About Your Community
Pittsburgh is a great city with lots of things going on, but I am going to focus this on the things that I think are truly amazing and incredible about this fantastic city.
- Rick Sebak who I think is perhaps one of the greatest Ambassadors for this city ever. It is always a treat to run into him at the
- Farmers’ Market Cooperative of East Liberty, which is the oldest market in Pittsburgh – and it operates year around. If you have not been, you need to go. It is worth the trip!
- The Strip District – there is no place like it anywhere and I simply love it.
- If you are in the Strip, you should absolutely stop in at Wholey’s and then wander down to visit Lucy and get one of her famous Banh Mi Sandwiches. You will generally find her near Bar Marco. And be sure to save room for a world-famous sandwich from Primanti Bros. Yes, Pittsburgh is a town with lots of good food, this is a short list, but it will definitely get you started. You are not likely to go hungry in a visit here!
- If you are a history buff, there is a good bit of history scattered around this city from the Fort Pitt Block House (which is the oldest building in all of Western Pennsylvania) to the Woodville Plantation there is so much to see and do here.
- Point State Park is a wonder in the city with its miles of walkways along the rivers and the fantastic views of bridges everywhere you look – and with 446 of them in the city, there are indeed lots to see!
- If you are into archaeology, perhaps a visit to nearby Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village, which served as a campsite for prehistoric people 16,000 years ago. It is fantastically interesting and a great place to spend the day soaking up history.
- Or you could head to Ohiopyle and see some amazing landscape and learn a bit more about the history of the area.
- And not far from Ohiopyle you will find Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water.
- Now, after all that, you are probably in need of something sweet and there is no better way to satisfy that need than Sarris Candies for some chocolate. Yes, it is that good. Oh, and you can order online. You’re welcome.
- However, no list from Pittsburgh would ever be complete without Mr. Rogers after all it is the city that was his neighborhood.
Come and visit Pittsburgh – you will most certainly have a fantastic time!