I hope you all had the best of holidays with family and friends! It was a gloriously long weekend, but I am very happy that Steve is back at work today! Because I did not even think about a blog post at all over the weekend, I thought I’d share some random tidbits that have either crossed my screen or have been drifting around in my brain recently! And, sorry in advance for the long post!
- Nicola Sturgeon shared her rebellious reads list last week and yes, I have added a thing or two to my read list! And, imagine my surprise in finding that Sunset Song has been made into a truly lovely little movie.
- Has anyone beside me been lamenting the microscopic print on food packaging? To solve this dilemma, I have placed a pair of readers conveniently on the window ledge in the kitchen. But, really… is normal print size too much to ask for?
- The Great Christmas Tree Debate came to its fruition over the weekend with the purchase of a smaller footprint tree! The Home Depot Black Friday Sale was the tipping point… unexpected sale FTW!
- Heidi texted me Friday night asking ‘how hard would it be to make…’ which meant a quick trip to Joann’s on Saturday morning to get the things needed to make a fleece car seat poncho. A Google search found a free pattern on YouTube that will just need a couple minor modifications!
- The knitting of Blaer has halted as the elbow aggravator seems to be purling. I have not stopped knitting entirely though because I did manage to cast on a pair of mittens that I worked briefly this weekend.
- In a somewhat related thought, I have put one thing on my list of Intentions for 2019… learn how to knit and purl in the Continental-style in hopes of curtailing this elbow irritation! I know how, but what I need to practice is keeping the tension even!
- In the cuteness overload category, did you see the Little Red Long Johns? I am in love with them and think these are the most adorable things yet this holiday season!
- Football was so painful on Saturday with Michigan’s loss to Ohio State. So painful. And, I am still not recovered! Way to go from #4 to #8 in one stinking game Michigan! Ouch!
- There were some glorious moments of sunshine on Sunday which helped the exterior Christmas Explosion tremendously. Although, you’d think we never saw the sun this year as we achieved #2 for wettest year on record and with 34 more days this year, is the #1 spot achievable?
- We have some odd changes to our recycling program starting January 1…they are reducing the number of items we can recycle including a dramatic decrease in the plastics allowed and the removal of all glass from the recycling list. What?? I have not yet determined what I will do with these items, but I think it will merit a call to my state representatives – perhaps it is time for PA to get on board with a bottle deposit!!
That’s all I have for this Mon-uesday! See you back here tomorrow for the last Unraveled Wednesday of November!
Welcome back! What a list … so many fun little rabbit holes 🙂 That car seat poncho is really clever. Genevieve is a lucky little girl to have such a talented Nana!
Oooh, carseat ponchos!! I think that’s going on the list for Christmas! I have time, right??? Haha.
But WTF with your recycling?
OMG car seat ponchos – brilliant!!! And, yes, WTF with Pittsburgh’s recycling program????
In Washington state, the cost of our recycling increased dramatically a few months ago. Apparently, China has decided to not take the materials any longer. And here in the US, we don’t yet have the facilities to process as much recycling as we’re making. After finally training people in the importance of recycling,it’s unfortunate that some will now think that it’s cheaper to go back to the old ways. Hmmm…
Ummm. I can’t EVEN with that recycling thing . . .
(And those little red long johns are THE CUTEST.) (But I don’t need.) (If I just keep repeating that to myself, it will be true.) (Right?)
What?!? Glass is one of the most easily recycled things! I remember learning that decades ago.
My whole family was in mourning on Saturday night. That was seriously painful.
Are the recycling changes for everywhere in PA or just local to you? I don’t understand why we aren’t expanding what can be recycled.
You have me wondering if we will get that same kind of recycling letter. While it is sad, I think the problem is finding a market for the recycled items.
What once seemed like a good idea has not panned out in a profitable way for the recycling companies. I know our recycler accepts a lot less types of items than we did in Florida.
That car seat poncho looks both practical, warm, and easy! We have decent curbside recycling in NJ, but MD is really good – weekly, curbside, and they take almost everything. Here’s hoping PA can institute a bottle deposit!
Unfortunately there’s no market for recycled glass anymore due to tTrump’s tarrifs with China. Sad but true. (Add this to the list of things I’ve learned since becoming a selectman.)
I had to look up footprint tree and I LOVE the idea!!!
I enjoyed all your tidbits today!
The recycling thing is really beyond comprehension! (No surprise you know who is involved.) We’ve got serious allegiances on both sides of that game in our family! I actually just visited the BIG HOUSE in June. Cuz you know…the Goat 🙂
Yep, the recycling is China’s saying @#$! NO! Whoda tho’t ?
Love the car seat poncho and all the goodies on your “It’s Tuesday list!” Hope you can conquer that elbow problem soon!
If you think the print on food packaging is small, check out the print on OTC meds. I have trouble even with readers or bifocals. I need one of those PLUS a magnifying glass. Sympathies on the cutbacks on your recycling program. Makes no sense.
I so don’t get the recycling thing-several cities in our area aren’t taking glass?! Does that mean we can take bottles somewhere and get money like “back in the day?” The long johns are so adorable. We had a wonderful week with Andrew and his dog at home-can’t believe December 1 is Saturday