Grey skies, wild winds, and chilly weather – fall is absolutely here in Northern Michigan!
However, the beer is good.
And, so are the burgers!
The diet… not so much!
Hello Tuesday! And, you know what that means! Carole wants to know something!! This week she asks:
We’re going to shake things up a little bit this week and do two lists of 5 things. First, I want you to write about the 5 best things you did this summer. And then I want you to share 5 things you are looking forward to doing this fall.
Summer bests, there were quite a few of them!
- My Summer Knit Along takes first place – for me it was really just the motivation I needed to clean up a plethora of languishing knits. Best thing about it – absolutely no requirements, no pressure, just go at whatever pace you desired. A win-win for all! I managed to get a good number of things done too!
- My vegetable garden had some tremendous successes. Tomatoes, beans, peppers, and raspberries were all in that category. I am still picking about a pint of raspberries every other day and tomatoes – what can I say – we have them in abundance!
- A couple of new flower beds that really added some lovely oomph to the back yard – including their being a huge draw for bees of all sorts!
- The new pergola which precipitated
- Some really nice extra-long weekend staycations. (although the summer ended on a very warm noted, it did get some use in May!)
Now, on to what autumn has in store! (Besides the cessation of AC usage – I am so over it!)
- Cooler days that will afford the use of the pergola well into the fall and
- Using our new re-purposed fire pit a number of times more before the bitter cold sets in
- A trip to Michigan to visit family – this is on the schedule currently and I am so eager for it!
- A trip to a Hops Festival (with my son and perhaps my daughter!!) and perhaps a winery or two while in Michigan. (Also, a stop at the Grand Traverse Distillery!) (After all that, you’d think a 12 step program would be on my list…)
- Some home improvement things in the house – not a super fun thing on the list, but some fresh paint will absolutely spark joy!
There you have it – the best of summer and some autumnal anticipation! What are you looking forward to?
In the face of the senseless tragedy, the words of Mr. Rogers echo in my mind, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'”
Be a helper to those around you today.
One week ago, my burning bushes were ablaze with color…
Now only a few leaves remain and the rain is doing everything in its power to knock them to the ground.
Yet these few blaze on.
Determination is a powerful thing.
It is sad but I only have a few photos documenting my childhood. This is the only photo I know of from which an enlargement was made, a rarity outside the annual school photo. My parents were just not photographers.