One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. – Bob Marley
Carole has perhaps picked the best topic ever for this 10 on Tuesday, she wants to know:
10 Albums You Love. As in, you love the entire album, not just a few select songs
Wow, how do you even start with this topic – better yet, WHERE do you start?! Who gets the number one spot? How do you pick just ten? So, in no particular order (okay, alphabetical because there has to be some logic, right?) here you go, the 10 albums I love – in their entirety!
- Beethoven – 6th Symphony (but really, how do you pick)
- Van Morrison – Moondance
- Dave Brubeck – The Essential Dave Brubeck
- Etta James – At Last!
- Norah Jones – Come Away With Me
- Diana Krall – When I Look In Your Eyes (I have every single Diana Krall album and they are all spectacular, but this is my favorite)
- The Manhattan Transfer Anthology – Down In Birdland (a cheat but I have all their albums and they are all in the entire category)
- John Mayer – Continuum
- Frank Sinatra – Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years (I am going to sound like a broken record – but this was a hard choice, I love every single thing he had ever done, but this one is so good)
- The Wailin’ Jennys – 40 Days
So, when I first did this list there were 19 albums on it and, sadly, this is not 19 on Tuesday! So, in thinning this out a bit I tried to pick albums that might not be on everyone’s list. Maybe I will be surprised and find that there are many duplicates! However, I thought it important note that it goes without saying that there is so much good music available today. But, more importantly is that even though a musician might be gone from this world – their music lives on (and in a way they do too) every time we listen.
If you do not see an artist on my list, it does not necessarily mean I do not love them and they are not ENTIRE ALBUM WORTHY – they are. (Hello Adele, James Taylor, Brandi Carlile, Aaron Neville, Tony Bennett, the band, Fleetwood Mac, fun., Mussorgsky, Gillian Welch, Joan Baez, Le Vent du Nord, The Lumineers, Mat Kearney, Michael Bublé, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Avett Brothers, Pearl Django, Patsy Cline, Sam Cooke, Sarah Vaughn, and Warren Zevon – I am looking at all of you!) Picking 10 was just such a difficult decision, truly!
I hope you see something new on my list, something or someone you maybe did not know, and they become something you love! Because, really, I hope the music never ends!