I hope you all had the best of holidays with family and friends! It was a gloriously long weekend, but I am very happy that Steve is back at work today! Because I did not even think about a blog post at all over the weekend, I thought I’d share some random tidbits that have either crossed my screen or have been drifting around in my brain recently! And, sorry in advance for the long post!
- Nicola Sturgeon shared her rebellious reads list last week and yes, I have added a thing or two to my read list! And, imagine my surprise in finding that Sunset Song has been made into a truly lovely little movie.
- Has anyone beside me been lamenting the microscopic print on food packaging? To solve this dilemma, I have placed a pair of readers conveniently on the window ledge in the kitchen. But, really… is normal print size too much to ask for?
- The Great Christmas Tree Debate came to its fruition over the weekend with the purchase of a smaller footprint tree! The Home Depot Black Friday Sale was the tipping point… unexpected sale FTW!
- Heidi texted me Friday night asking ‘how hard would it be to make…’ which meant a quick trip to Joann’s on Saturday morning to get the things needed to make a fleece car seat poncho. A Google search found a free pattern on YouTube that will just need a couple minor modifications!
- The knitting of Blaer has halted as the elbow aggravator seems to be purling. I have not stopped knitting entirely though because I did manage to cast on a pair of mittens that I worked briefly this weekend.
- In a somewhat related thought, I have put one thing on my list of Intentions for 2019… learn how to knit and purl in the Continental-style in hopes of curtailing this elbow irritation! I know how, but what I need to practice is keeping the tension even!
- In the cuteness overload category, did you see the Little Red Long Johns? I am in love with them and think these are the most adorable things yet this holiday season!
- Football was so painful on Saturday with Michigan’s loss to Ohio State. So painful. And, I am still not recovered! Way to go from #4 to #8 in one stinking game Michigan! Ouch!
- There were some glorious moments of sunshine on Sunday which helped the exterior Christmas Explosion tremendously. Although, you’d think we never saw the sun this year as we achieved #2 for wettest year on record and with 34 more days this year, is the #1 spot achievable?
- We have some odd changes to our recycling program starting January 1…they are reducing the number of items we can recycle including a dramatic decrease in the plastics allowed and the removal of all glass from the recycling list. What?? I have not yet determined what I will do with these items, but I think it will merit a call to my state representatives – perhaps it is time for PA to get on board with a bottle deposit!!
That’s all I have for this Mon-uesday! See you back here tomorrow for the last Unraveled Wednesday of November!
It has most certainly been a week and I am so glad for the arrival of the weekend. Steve has today off (as well as Monday!) and a long weekend sounds just perfect. S-N-O-W is in the forecast which seems odd since all the leaves are not down from the trees. It seems odd to be thinking about snow, since it was in the 60’s on Tuesday! But there you have it…
Gratitude Week might be my favorite week of the entire year and this week it has been an especially profound experience. If you have been participating, I hope it has been for your as well.
Thinking About –
This post from Bacon on the Bookshelf – life in the cross roads in a starkly divided nation. More books, less strife – and yes, more quiet moments. Living in this perverted version of America is a daily struggle. (Oh, and This is How It Always Is is an excellent book!! I really loved it!) On Tuesday, I sent each voter off with a heartfelt “Thanks for voting!” and it warmed my heart that so many came to vote and, at least at my precinct, they voted with no hindrances. I met new “neighbors” on Tuesday and I was profoundly struck on how we talk to those directly next to us, but those around the corner…not so much. But, spending 14+ hours with people allows you to find things in common and new friendships are formed! There are even beginning talks of forming a neighborhood book club and, my up-the-street and around the corner neighbor dropped off a book for me yesterday!
Grateful For – The help of Mary this week. (Although, I am sure she thinks she did nothing!) I have spent the better part of a week struggling with the lace chart on my Blaer. Very long story short – the charts are to be worked concurrently, rather than one at a time as I was doing. And, yes… I am feeling profoundly stupid! All has been ripped back and I finished the lace charts, the short rows, and the first set of increases last night. It seems I am back to “smooth sailing” knitting…and happily! Thank you, Mary for your help and insight!
Inspired By –
This. Oh my. I am generally not a fan of Stephen West designs, and usually because I can’t get beyond the outrageous color combinations. Thank you, Lene for showing me to look beyond color!
Fun, fun, fun – I am dragging Steve (kicking and screaming) out this weekend to the Pittsburgh Vintage Mixer! It will be our first time there and I am so excited to go and see this fascinating event! I hope to have lots to share with you on Monday about our inaugural visit!
I hope you have a fun weekend! See you back here on Monday!
P.S. My friend Sarah has the most beautiful kippah pattern up on Ravelry. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Tree of Life. And, if you are planning on attending Indie Knit and Spin on Sunday, be sure to stop by to see Lisa at Fybernymph Dye Works to get a mini-skein or two!
By this time next week, it will be November! How is that even possible? My focus for the remainder of 2018 is to slow down and savor these days.
Thinking About – Trees. Yes, that’s right, trees. I am almost done with The Overstory, and I think this might be the most fascinating book I have read all year.
Grateful For – The number of sunny days we have had recently. They are a balm to my spirit and we are getting to the Season of Endless Grey Days – so I would like to bottle up some of the sunshine to open when needed!
Inspired By – Arne and Carlos to make a few geranium clippings to overwinter in the house. Now, let’s see if I can manage to not kill them all… my interior green thumb is practically non-existent! Keep your fingers crossed for them and send some good grow mojo their way! Ha!
Fun, fun, fun – It has been quite chilly the past few mornings on my walk, so I have had mittens on the brain! These mittens certainly fill the fun category and they look super warm as well: En Halv Citron and Spunni!
That is all I have for today – have a great weekend and I will see you all back here on Monday!
Houston…we have applied icord!! It was a very rocky start, but I figured it out and have been buzzing right along with it. I have about half of blanket one to do yet, but I am feeling great success!! Woo hoo!
Thinking About – The Instagram conundrum… why do I see all the posts I want to see when I open Instagram in a browser window on my pc but from the app on my phone I must search for friends’ posts? Really, this is making me so mad. Also, am I the only one getting a million “promoted” posts on the phone app? Instagram, you are making me crazy and not in a good way! I have been trying to go through and “turn on notifications” for all the people I want to see however, that is a process in itself! Yes… this is really not a problem in the scheme of things, but there you have it.
Grateful For – The spate of sunny days we have had recently! Even the chilly mornings are easier to take with bright blue skies! I only walked one day where it was a bit “misty” out, every other day was just glorious!
Inspired By – Robin’s Back to the Mat! Yes, this week has been hard (and there are still 2 more days to go!!) but I feel so accomplished when I complete my time on the mat! Note to self… be inspired by your own motivation!
Fun, fun, fun – This weekend is sure to be full of fun, especially since Steve is taking Monday off and we have plans to go and enjoy the southwestern PA sights! I will be back here on Tuesday to tell you all about it!
Things to ponder – The preliminary deets for Project Peace 2018 went up this week!! I did not knit a peace project last year and I really need some peace this year… badly! Proceeds will be donated to Seeds of Peace this year, and I am super inspired to participate. I am hoping that I will have some fellow peace-seeking knitters joining me!
And, that’s all I have for this week! Have a great weekend and I will see you all back here on Tuesday!
Happy Monday, Gentle Readers!
Fall arrived in the ‘Burgh over the weekend… crisp days, very cool evenings, and yes, someone caved and turned on the heat but it was not me! And, my advice of putting on long pants versus shorts fell on deaf ears…
It was a weekend full of decorating for fall, but especially Halloween! Steve and I have been debating Halloween – do we give out treats? Do we pass? We decided that for the sake of the couple of neighbors with young kids, we will. These are the difficult decisions in life, I am telling you! Ha
It was not a weekend with much knitting. However, I did get my wheel out! I gave it a good tune up and I did some spinning! Saturday, I finished up the last bit of a braid of fiber from David at Southern Cross Fibre and yesterday, I plied it. It just needs a bit of a soak and I will see how much yardage I got. I don’t have enough for a pair of socks, but I think there will be enough for a pair of mitts!
There was also no baking – even though we got some lovely apples this weekend. I am hoping that I can solve that problem tomorrow! Today I have training to be an election worker!
How was your weekend?
P.S. Amazon has Still Life for $2.99 today!