You can’t escape the taste of the food you had as a child. In times of stress, what do you dream about?
Your mother’s clam chowder. It’s security, comfort. It brings you home. – Jacques Pepin
It’s Tuesday and you know what that means! Carole wants to know:
10 Favorite Foods Your Mom Used To Make
Now this poses a bit of a problem for me… Why you ask? Well, truly my mom was good at many things, but cooking was not one of them. At all. And, while I loved her dearly – it was not for her culinary skills!
Rather, I will make this about the foods of my Nana and my dear Mother-in-Law (though I did not know her when I was a child, she made things that the child in me loved!) My list starts with 2 things from her and the rest of the items on the list are devoted to my much beloved Nana (my maternal grandmother) she was a fantastic cook and I spent hours in the kitchen with her. Add to that, the number of times I called her while cooking a meal to see what she thought – and it was LOTS of time! It is because of her that I am the cook I am today.
- My Mother-in-Law’s Sloppy Joes. So good, and my kids most commonly requested birthday meal. Very deserving of the #1 spot!
- In slot #2 would be her Æbleskiver’s – to die for!
- Nana’s mashed potatoes.
- Denver Omelets – a treat for breakfast if you spent the night there. These also could be a supper treat to eat while watching Charlie Chan movies!
- Baked German Pancake, especially delicious when topped with raspberries from my Nana’s garden!
- Smelt – key factors here, they must have been dipped by my Uncle Denny and fried outside on the Coleman stove.
- Coleslaw – she made the best!
- Knödel – German Dumplings. She made them by hand, grinding the ham and the potatoes to an exact consistency. Absolutely amazing!
- Potato Salad, while she was a good German – she did not make a typical German potato salad. How she made it is how I make it still today. Potatoes, celery, radishes, and Hellman’s. The best!
- Mexican Wedding Cake cookies – these were the ultimate treat! Getting a “care package” in college that contained them and made you extremely popular.
The foods of my youth that bring warm memories to my heart whenever I think of them.
What food takes you to another time? Please share!